Adoum, African greenheart, Bokoka, Nduma, Bouemon
West and Central Africa
The heartwood is yellow brown and becomes red brown with air. The sapwood is clearly demarcated. The grain is interlocked and the texture is medium. It has an unpleasant odour when green. Density at 12 % moisture content: 0.91 g/cm3.
The blunting effect is fairly high and peeling and slicing is not recommended or without interest. Requires power. It is sometimes difficult to obtain a good finish because of highly interlocked grain. Tendency to tear on quartersawn. Nailing is good but pre-boring is necessary. Gluing is correct for interior only. It dries slowly and kiln drying must be handled carefully.
Okan can be used for several applications:
- interior: e.g. flooring, sculpture
- exterior: e.g. bridges, posts Substitute for Azobe (Lophira alata) and Greenheart (Ocotea rodiaei).
- Very durable to fungi
- Durable to dry wood borers
- High specific gravity and hardness
- Covers biological hazard class 5